Sunday, October 20, 2013

First Annual Recycle For Sight Drive

We all know about the Lions eyeglass recycle program.  But where did you learn about it?  Did you see a poster at one of the eyeglass drop off sites that identified them as participating in the program?  Did your vision center ever tell you what they did with your old eyeglasses? 

My husband had been a lion for a few years before it dawned on me that the only reason I knew about the Lions eyeglass recycle program was because of his involvement with the Lions.  I wear glasses but I did not know about this worthwhile project.  When I get new glasses, I'm not told about the program.  To be honest, I've never seen the drop off box or a poster identifying them as a participant.

So it seemed to me that the Joint Sight Committee might want to do a little promotion, let the community know we do this.  Don't rely on the vision centers to educate people on this opportunity.
We had our first ever (as far as I know) Recycle For Sight Drive yesterday and collected 155 pair of glasses!  This far surpassed any expectation I had!  To be honest, I thought we might collect a dozen, maybe two.... I was ready to be a wee-bit disappointed but would chalk it up to being our first drive....  But it goes to show that this town is a giving town.... 
Again, a big thanks to Lions Neil, Ted, Nicole, and Bruce! 

Lion Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment